OPT Industries (http://optindustries.com) is a rapidly growing, venture-backed MIT spinoff company that is focused on building the next generation of additive manufacturing technology. Working at the intersection of automation engineering, computational design, and polymer science, we design and commercially manufacture highly customizable materials and products – everything from medical devices to luxury fashion.
Materials are at the core of what we do. As we continue to expand our operations, we are looking for an experienced scientist/engineer to develop novel polymer and processing methods to meet a diverse range of performance targets for our customers’ products. Candidates must be self-motivated, possess excellent communication skills, and excited to collaborate with a dynamic team to bring material solutions to the world’s top tier brands.
Technical Expertise and Research:
- Develop new photpolymerizable resins for 3D printing that meet customer requirements and can be processed through OPT Industries unique and proprietary 3D printing technology.
- Create Design of Experiments (DOEs) for polymer development, using experience and subject matter expertise in the field. Perform statistical data analysis on gathered data.
- Develop, execute, and enhance work instructions related to resin creation, characterization, and materials testing.
- Independently problem-solve issues during task execution and innovate during unique or novel project situations.
- Perform excellent literature review and obtain references of closest prior art before initiating new project work.
Collaboration and Project Management:
- Work with customer/OPT team to translate customer requirements into design inputs and subsequently create and execute a program for design verification for projects that require materials development.
- Lead a project team, ensuring efficient and timely delivery of objectives.
- Create concrete plans for deliverables and timelines with project managers and report to leadership in a clear and timely fashion.
- Demonstrate excellent collaboration skills for working effectively with other teams and departments.
Leadership and additional responsibilities:
- Takes up additional functional or managerial responsibility such as Environmental Health & Safety responsibility or product stewardship responsibility, or people responsibility like leading an intern, lab tech, etc.
- Responsible for mentoring and training less experienced staff, sharing expertise and knowledge in the field of polymer science.
- Communicate complex polymer science concepts and processes effectively to both team members and non-technical stakeholders.
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry or an equivalent field plus at least 5 years of experience (preferably in the photopolymerization field)
- Experience doing statistical data analysis using software such as JMP or Minitab, for Design of Experiments, ANOVA, Regression analysis, Model fitting, etc.
- Experience working in a team in a stage-gated project management process to deliver products.
OPT Industries is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.